Hi! I am Melanie Kohn and I am so excited to be a guest blogger for Danielle’s blog. I love how she finds all these meals under 400 calories and makes them so accessible for everyone to view. Steak is one of my favorite foods especially when its paired with a salad!! Giada is a great cook on the food network (danielle and my) favorite so everything she makes is amazing!!! This is a great steal and you would think this meal is prepared in a restaurant!!
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large head Belgian endive, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 cups fresh baby arugula
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola, coarsely crumbles
- ( I hate Gorgonzola so parmesan is a great substitute)
- Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound steak (such as New York, rib-eye or filet mignon), pan-fried or grilled and chilled
In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, Belgian endive, red onion, baby arugula and cherry tomatoes, and half of the cheese. Toss the salad with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad with salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange the salad on a platter.
Cut the steaks crosswise into thin slices. Arrange the steak slices atop the salad and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Drizzle more vinaigrette over the steak slices and serve.
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
The leaves are changing into beautiful colors and the wind is crisp. Fall is in the air and its time for colder weather. Soup is the perfect craving for a healthy dinner below 400 calories in the cold months. This recipe I found for curried chicken and rice soup is 390 calories!! You need to stay in shape and try this home made soup that will melt in your mouth. This soup is very creative and takes some time to make so be prepared!!!
- 1 bone-in chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1/3 cup jasmine rice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Add 3 cups broth and bring to a boil; immediately reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the chicken is just firm, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in another saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until the onion is soft, 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and the remaining 3 cups broth. Increase the heat to medium, cover and until the rice falls apart, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from its broth; discard the skin and shred the meat into pieces. Return the shredded chicken to the same broth.
- Puree the rice mixture with an immersion blender until smooth (or use a regular blender, then return to the pan). Pour in the shredded chicken and broth, stirring gently to combine; bring to a simmer. Toss in the chopped herbs and serve the soup with lemon wedges.
Time for a recipe filled with protein! Eating healthy is about more than just counting your calories and working out. You need a balanced diet with fruit, protein, vegetables, sugar (yes some sugar is good for you) and more! This scrumptious and filling meal is only 220 calories per serving! Check out how to make this below!!!
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, kosher salt, and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- In a shallow baking dish, combine the yogurt, garlic, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Thread the chicken onto 8 skewers and set them in the yogurt marinade, turning to coat. Refrigerate at least 10 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, onion, celery, parsley, oil, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook on a well-oiled grill or grill pan, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Divide the chickpea salad among plates and serve with the chicken.
Recipe from: www.realsimple.com
My favorite food in the entire world is greek salad!! However, I am so sick of feeling unhealthy indulging in my favorite food because of the dressing. I found an amazing take off a greek salad that is UNDER 400 CALORIES!!!! Feta, cucumber, and pita are my 3 favorite foods when eating a greek salad and I can not believe I found a healthy salad with all 3 of them! AlSO, every time I go to a restaurant and ask for my salad chopped they either charge me extra or mess up my order. Now I can make my own chopped salad at the ease and comfort of my home!!
- 2 cups of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese (my favorite)
- 1/2 cup of cucumber sliced
- 1 whole pita chopped
- 2 tablespoons of low-fat vinaigrette
Recipe from: www.fitnessmagazine.com
On a diet? Watching your weight? Hopefully your answer is yes and you are looking to stay healthy!! Counting your calories is a great way to stay on top of your weight loss. I have found a yummy sizzling recipe under 400 calories for Gnocchi with roasted cauliflower. How amazing? Did you ever think you could be on a diet while eating creamy pasta? Hopefully you will love this recipe just as much as I did!!! I found this great recipe on real simple food and you should try it! Now that social media and blogging is taking over the internet it makes sharing recipes and food creations so easy! Everyday you have thousands and thousands of food tips at your finger tips so take advantage of it!
This recipe takes about 45 minutes including prep and cook time. Have your friends over for this healthy meal because it serves up to 4!
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 pound gnocchi
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Once you have all your ingredients preheat your fabulous oven to 400 degrees F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the cauliflower, sage, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast, tossing once, until the cauliflower is golden brown and tender, around 20 to 30 minutes.
- Fifteen minutes before the cauliflower is finished cook your mouth watering gnocchi by following the instructions on the package
- Divide the gnoocchi among as many bowls ad you would like and then top the cauliflower and parmesan
Welcome to The NMDL Blog Network. I am a student of the New Media Drivers License at Michigan State University. I will be blogging here soon, please check back.